Friday, May 28, 2004

Levity

Shakespeare balanced tragedy with levity. I stood on Castro Street in front of Cliff’s around 8:50 PM. Monica was supposed to meet me in A Different Light Bookstore at 9. I had gone into the store with the intention of skimming through the new arrivals. I didn’t want guys skimming me as the new arrival so I left soon there after. I stood on the sidewalk. Originally I was facing the street but I couldn’t see if Monica was coming. It takes quite a bit of courage to actually face the guys who walk up and down the street. A guy will walk pass and without turning his head look me up and down. It’s unnerving. No matter how uncomfortable I was I stood my ground and waited. Monica and Heather showed up and we chatted before making our way to Harvey’s. Monica and I were set on listening to the last message from her stalker but we couldn’t get her voicemail to work. We were met outside the bar by another of Monica’s friends, Joie, dressed up in a cowboy shirt and jeans—perfect for Trannyshack’s “Women of Country.” Inside we staked our claim, near Hecklina and waited for Tom to show up. The show began and it seemed like all the drama from earlier melted away with the antics of the performers. Monica’s friends with all the queens so it’s nice to go to these events with her because I can feel like a part of the show. It was exactly the space I needed to be in-- far enough away from Fell Street and the events of the evening. Three hours flew by and I found myself bidding everyone adieu as a cab took me up over the hill back to the crime scene. I walked into the condo greeted by the hum of the clothes dryer. Walking into my room I fell on my bed picturing the body in the bathroom, over and over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home