Wednesday, September 15, 2004

[Real Life] Disrespecting the Homeless Since 2002

It's interesting how the mean things keep replaying in my mind lately. Walking down Van Ness in the winter of 2002, I came across a homeless woman sitting in the doorway of a business that had closed for the evening. She cried out to me, “Can you spare five dollars?” I couldn’t help but choke on the amount. I'd heard of inflation and wasn't surprised it has spread to the homeless community as well, but five dollars?! Come on. I selectively became deaf. As I made that decision the crosswalk light had changed and I was stuck on the corner right next to her. “Fine,” she spat out, “don’t help me. Don’t even look at me! Pretend I don’t exist.” Coldly I spoke my eyes straight ahead, “I don’t look at you because you’re ugly.” The light turned green and I went on my way. I felt like an asshole for saying that but I also laughed. It evened everything out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home