Monday, March 01, 2004

On the 7

Her voice was a victim-arpeggio of trembles. She stepped up into the bus. “I-I-I need to get to 9th Street to pick up my welfare check.” Bus Driver: “You need to pay.” Woman: “I-I’m going to pick up my welfare check. I don’t have any money. W-w-won’t you help me out.” By this time she’s moved pass the bus driver and has sat down behind him trying to hide. Bus Driver: “You need to pay to be on the bus.” I put down my book and look at my watch. I want to get to work on time and the bus driver is not moving the bus until she pays. I’m annoyed. Bus Driver: “You have to pay.” Homeless woman: “W-w-won’t anyone help me out? Put 35 cents in my cup so I can pay? Please!” She begins to sob. Me: “You can WALK. It’s only two blocks!” Homeless woman: “W-w-won’t anyone help me out? 35 cents? 35 cents?” Me: “Get off! You can walk!” Bus driver: “I’m not moving this bus until you pay.” Homeless woman: “I don’t have any money. I’m going to get my welfare check. 35 cents? 35 cents?” Me: “Fuck you! Get the off the bus! How dare you hijack us like this. You’re going to make all of us late.” Girl next to me: “Yeah, get the fuck off the bus!” Man at the back of the bus: “Get off!” Homeless woman: “35 cents? 35 cents?” Then this woman walks up and puts 35 cents in the bus. That just pissed me off even more. Me: “I can’t believe it! Why’d you do that? Jesus Christ, now she’ll continue hijacking buses everywhere because people like you." 35 cent lady: “Fuck you.” Me: “Bitch, you wish you could.” Girl next to me: “What a cunt.” We get to 9th street and does she get off the bus? No. “I have one more block.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home