Saturday, April 23, 2005

[Real Life] Hey-hey, Ho-ho Raping Women Has Got to Go

This weekend I'm visiting my family up in Ukiah, California. While in my mother's workshop this morning, my sister and I heard the distant beat of drums and chants. We rushed outside to see the commotion. A group of protesters were marching down the street. We couldn’t make out their signs or what they were saying. Having an errand to run, my mother and I went to investigate. We walked toward the crowd. “I know what this is” my mom said. “Check it out, the guys are wearing high heel shoes.” Indeed they were. Many had on red stilettos. We now could hear their cheer. Hey-hey, ho-ho, raping women has got to go. Hey-hey, ho-ho, raping women has got to go. "They do this every year," she explained. "Men marching in women's shoes protesting rape." "Awesome." “Know what would be even more awesome? If you threw me down right now and mock-raped me in front of them!" We laughed and ducked inside a sewing store to let them pass us. The marchers congregated in the town square. Their drum beating slowed and their chant became "Rape... NO! Rape... NO!" We went back outside and walked through the square. A woman tried to hand my mom literature. My mom put shook her head and said, "No thanks. I support rape.” It's probably true, I mean she wouldn’t be a very good Republican if she didn’t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home